The Zodiac Gestures in Eurythmy
Eurythmy is an art form that makes sounds visible. By incorporating zodiac gestures into their art, as indicated by Rudolf Steiner, eurythmists can draw on a deep connection between the earth and the cosmos.
The zodiac, as representative of the whole cosmos, is a vital part of human spirituality, acting as the backdrop to human life. But it can be hard to fathom the zodiac’s secrets, even through meditation. Barfod draws a parallel between meditative exercises and eurythmy practice, and shows how zodiac gestures in eurythmy can reveal cosmic insights.
This is a book for eurythmy teachers and practitioners who want to deepen their art and spiritual work.
C O N T E N T S
Foreword by Virginia Sease
Preface: Out of the Creative Chaos
1. The Zodiac in Eurythmy
2. The Consonants in the Zodiac
3. The Composition of the Totality of the Zodiac
4. Forces of Order in the Sounds of the Zodiac
5. Rudolf Steiner’s Twelve Moods
6. The Zodiac as the Source of All Created Things
7. Work-Based Movement and Sound in the Zodiac
8. The Zodiac and Technology
9. Conversational Gestures and the Zodiac
10. The Connection of Artistic Practice and Training
11. Artistic Elements in Eurythmy and Their Twelve Metamorphoses
12. The Task of the Earthly and the Cosmic Human Being
About the Author
Werner Barfod was born in Kiel, Germany in 1936. He studied eurythmy at the Goetheanum in Switzerland with Lea von der Pals, and from 1969 to 2000 was the Director of the Eurythmy Academy in the Hague, and of the Netherlands Eurythmy Ensemble, after which he was the leader of the Performing Arts section of the Goetheanum for seven years.