Storytelling with Children
Telling stories awakens wonder and creates special occasions with children, whether it is bedtime, around the fire or on rainy days. Encouraging you to spin golden tales, Nancy Mellon shows how you can become a confident storyteller and enrich your family with the power of story.
Children love family storytelling and parents can learn this practical, magical art. Here are methods, tips and resources to enable you to:
- Create a listening space
- Use the day’s events and rhythms to make stories
- Transform old stories and make up new ones
- Bring your personal and family stories to life
- Learn stories by heart using pictures, inner theatre, walk-about, singing the story and other methods
- Find the tale you want from Nancy’s rich story-cupboard.
Published in association with the Alliance for Childhood.
C O N T E N T S:
Foreword by Thomas Moore
1. Weaving a Storyteller’s Mantle
2. The Storyteller’s Trove of Treasure: Memory and Imagination
3. A Storyteller’s Trove of Treasure: Play
4. Stories for Growth and Change
5. Stories through the Seasons
6. Stories: Weaving Family and Community
Resources for Each Chapter
About the Author
Nancy Mellon is a storyteller who teaches the healing art of storytelling. She operates a School for Therapeutic Storytelling and lives in New Hampshire. Nancy has helped lead the rebirth of storytelling internationally since the 1980s and continues to pioneer storytelling in the healing arts movement. She is also the author of the classic Storytelling with Children. Healing Storytelling from Hawthorn Press.